- DATE & TIME: 05-March-2019 Tuesday, 7:00 PM
- WHERE: FCC Auditorium
- A VISION FOR SOUTH ASIAN UNIVERSITY
A Talk by Dr Kavita Sharma, President, SAU
at 7pm on Tuesday, March 5, 2019
at FCC Auditorium
AB-19 Mathura Road, Opposite Pragati Maidan Gate # 7, New Delhi-110001.
She will be accompanied by faculty members and students from SAARC countries.
You are cordially invited.
S Venkat Narayan,
Dr Kavita A Sharma is currently serving as the President of the South Asian University (SAU), jointly established by the governments of the SAARC nations: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. She has also been the Director of India International Centre (IIC), New Delhi and Principal, The Hindu College, University of Delhi.
She has been an Honorary visiting lecturer to Tokyo Women's Christian College and University of Indonesia. Dr Sharma has written and published books on various subjects, including among others,Internationalisation of Higher Education, The Windmill of Mind and Interpreting Indian Diaspora Experience. She has an endless list of published research articles to her credit. Her research articles include, among others, From Dejection to Action, The Role of Women Educators, Limping Marriages and Holiday Wives, and Resource Mobilisation in Higher Education in India and Canada. She has peer reviewed books for The Journal of the Poetry Society in India, Poetry and Humour from Cowper to Clough, and The Immigrant Indo.
She is a Life Member of professional associations including, the English Association, Indian Association of Canadian Studies, Indian Society for Commonwealth Studies, Indian Law Institute, Association of Comparative Literature, Indian History Congress and the Founder of Parents' Forum for Meaningful Education.
Dr Sharma is a Fulbright scholar and is the recipient of numerous fellowship awards. She has been conferred the "Indira Gandhi Sadbhavana Award" by the National Integration and Economic Council on the occasion of the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Late Smt. Indira Gandhi on 19 November, 2005.
• Ph.D in English, University of Delhi, Delhi
Byron's Plays: A Reassessment - 1978
• M.A in English, University of Delhi, Delhi -1971
• LL.M from University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada-1984
• LL.B. from Delhi University-1981
• B.A. (H) English, Hindu College, University of Delhi, Delhi -1969
Presently - President, South Asian University, New Delhi
Formerly, Director, India International Centre, New Delhi since August 2008-October 2014
Principal, Hindu College, University of Delhi, Delhi, from January 1998 to July 2008
Teaching in Hindu College since July 1971-July 1978
Honorary visiting Lecturer at Tokyo Women's Christian College,1974-75.
Honorary visiting Lecturer at University of Indonesia, 1977-78.
• Awarded the Fulbright fellowship New Century Scholar for the year 2007-08 program for research on "Higher Education in the 21st Century: Access and Equity" by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.
• Awarded fellowship by Shastri Indo Canadian Institute for Faculty Research Programme at Ottawa, Academic year 2002-2003.
• Awarded Faculty Enrichment Fellowship by the Shastri Indo Canadian Institute at Vancouver, Academic year 1991-92.
• Conferred the "Indira Gandhi Sadbhavana Award" by the National Integration and Economic Council on the occasion of the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Late Smt.Indira Gandhi i.e. 19.11.2005